Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Right Fit

Back in September 2013, I found myself in Milan for work. The airline had lost my luggage and I needed a new outfit for a big launch. Now, most people would think that needing to go shopping in Milan for clothes would be exciting, but I was rather scared. I'm 5'1" and weighed about 45 more pounds than I do now. But I had lost about 25lbs by that point, so I was starting to feel a little better about my appearance. But still, Milan fashion is known for being about the tall, skinny Italian woman, which I was not (I'm still not tall).

Fortunately, a colleague and I found this great store with fantastic customer service. They helped me find several dresses to try on that might fit. At that time I had only worn dresses for a few months. I was always reluctant to wear dresses up until that point because I didn't think they looked good on me and I wasn't comfortable in them because my thighs rubbed together. Being fairly new to dresses, I tended to stick to fit and flare dresses because they were flattering. At this store, my colleague convinced me to try on a sheath style dress. Low and behold, it actually looked good on me. I was shocked.

My advice is to go shopping with friends that you trust. People that will be honest with you. People that know your goals,  your fears, your style. But promise me this... you'll listen to what they have to say. If they want you to try on a new-to-you style, try it on. You might just be surprised with what you find looks good on you.


Here's the thing, wearing new clothes, especially ones that fit you well feels amazing. People will compliment you. They'll notice you're wearing something new. They'll notice the confidence you have that comes from wearing something that you feel beautiful in. When you feel good about what you're wearing, it serves as a form of motivation itself.

I love the outfit I have on above. I never would have worn a pencil skirt two years ago, but now I love how it shows off my curves. I feel beautiful in this outfit, and it shows when I walk around the office. So splurge on that outfit because you'll feel great and it's motivation to keep going. If you wear something that's a little too big, you won't show off that fabulous figure you've been working on. 

1 comment: