Monday, May 18, 2015

Roasted Cauliflower

One of my go-to side dishes is my roasted cauliflower. It's super easy to make and I can use ingredients I always have on hand - frozen cauliflower, a little oil and some salt and spices.

I will often use fresh cauliflower when I have it on hand, but I found out a few years ago that I can easily make this with frozen cauliflower and it tastes just as good. As a result, you will almost always find several bags of cauliflower in my freezer at any given point in time. 

All I do to start is toss the cauliflower in a little bit of oil and some salt and pepper. I stuck with my trusted spicy garlic salt that I use on practically everything. I used a vegetable oil here instead of olive oil because we're cooking at about 425*, so we need an oil that can withstand being cooked at a high temperature for a long period of time. I have used olive oil, and it works, you just need to cook at a slightly lower temperature for a longer period of time. 

I roast the cauliflower for about 35-45 minutes at 425*, turning it every now and then. Some of the really tiny heads of cauliflower might burn slightly during this process, but just ignore those and eat the rest. 

Sometimes, if I'm feeling up for it, I'll sprinkle on a little bit of of parmesan cheese during the last five minutes of cooking. I didn't this time, but it's a nice way to mix things up. 


I served the cauliflower this time around with a piece of swordfish that I seared in a pan with a little seasoning and squeezed lemon on top. This was a simple yet delicious spring-like dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment