Monday, June 1, 2015

Lemon Dill Carrots and Seared Scallops

With grad school finally over (crazy!), I'm really hoping I have more time to cook healthier dishes for myself instead of relying on takeout like I so often had to do with my crazy schedule.

To start, I made myself a nice dinner of lemon dill carrots and seared scallops. I bought some pre-sliced carrots at the grocery store and put them in a pan with about 1/2 a teaspoon of lemon dill butter from the grocery store. I added about 1/4 cup of dry white wine and sautéed the carrots for about 20 minutes or until a little soft, but they still had a nice snap to them.

Once the wine has soaked in and evaporated, the carrots start to sear a little with the butter and the pan. I used a simple non-stick pan over medium heat. If you just lay the carrots out in the pan into a single layer and leave them for about five minutes, you'll get some nice color. 


About half way through cooking, I started the scallops. I patted them dry on a paper towel and sprinkled them with my favorite seasoning. If you don't have this garlic/salt/crushed red pepper mill, just use some salt and pepper. You can add some garlic powder if you want too. 


I melted about 1/2 a teaspoon of bacon fat in a skillet once it got to a medium-high temperature and put the scallops in. DON'T touch them for at least 3-4 minutes. You want to sear the scallops on each side for about 3-4 minutes depending on the size. The key is to make sure your skillet is pretty hot.


This is such an easy dinner because it requires very little work. The scallops get started just about when the wine evaporates for both of them to finish up at the same time. 


One of my tips is to fill half my plate with veggies. I always like a generous helping of veggies to fill me up. When you have a lot of veggies, you're more likely to eat them.



No comments:

Post a Comment