Thursday, July 23, 2015

Grilled Lemon Cod

During the summer I love to grill as much as possible. First, it brings so much flavor to my food, but it also means I don't have as many dishes to do at the end of the day, which is a huge win.

I also really love seafood, but that can also be somewhat difficult to cook on the grill if the fish is very flaky. As a result, sometimes I'll cook fish in a foil packet.


For this packet I lined the bottom with three slides of lemons. I didn't bother removing the seeds, but if you want to take the time to remove them, go for it.


I then placed the cod on top of the lemon and seasoned it. You can rearrange your lemons to fit better under the fish like I did if you'd like. I just coated the fish with my favorite garlic, salt and crushed red pepper seasoning blend. You could season it with some salt, pepper and lemon dill seasoning too.


I forgot to grab a photo of it, but before I closed the packet up I added a little lemon dill butter to the top. If you don't have that, just a little drizzle of olive oil or a pat of butter works just fine. If you use butter, I highly recommend unsalted since it's really easy to over salt seafood. In general I use unsalted butter with everything to control the salt. I actually can't remember the last time I bought salted butter.


Throw your fish on the grill. I had my burner on a medium-high heat that registered at around 400* when I closed the grill. On the side here are some partially cooked potatoes coated in just a little olive oil. I microwaved the potato for about 5-6 minutes, sliced it into a few wedges, coated it in oil and added a little S&P (salt and pepper).


Cook the fish on the grill for about 4-6 minutes on each side. I actually like to start with the folded side down so that when I flip it I can check the doneness of the fish easily once I think it's done.


Once done I serve the fish right in the foil packet. You're going to have a decent amount of juice from the cooked lemons and the little bit of butter. If you're concerned about a puncture to the foil, I recommend using two places or placing a napkin under the foil to absorb the juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment